Few things to point out.
1. We were going to move Friday/Saturday/Sunday. The apartment Complex then changed their mind and at 4 pm on Friday told us we "might" be moving on Monday.
2. Monday comes - BLIZZARD OF THE YEAR arrives. By noon there were a good 4-5 inches of snow already on the ground with a predicted 10 - 14 MORE inches of snow to come through WEDNESDAY.
3. FINALLY at NOON on Monday we are given the keys to the new apartment. We asked if we could put it off a week until the snow storm stopped and were told NO. Lucky us.
4. We moved from 12:30 pm - 9 pm on Monday. Our Neighbor Tristan kindly helped us move the EXTREMELY heavy couch AND the GIANT book/storage shelf. (I've done the couch a few times and let's just say it's a BEAST. Yea for awesome neighbors! I also "fell" down the stairs and twisted my right knee. When I say "fell" I mean that my foot got caught in my too long pants (which were rolled up) and in the process of falling (about 8 stairs) and being pregnant, I knew I had two options, do a divers twist and land on my back (to protect the baby) or do my best to JUMP down the stairs. I chose to JUMP and landed a bit off and twisted my knee in the entire process.
5. Tuesday Ben had to work. I wont go into details as it's a pretty sour topic for me. However I worked all day Tuesday (8 am - 6 pm) by myself with a cranky 2 year old and a twisted knee and a cold. So I was moving pretty slow as stairs were painful and felt miserable. Did I mention that it didn't stop snowing ALL DAY. CONSTANT SNOW.
6. Wednesday, Ben had to work again. So I dragged my sorry tush back to the old place and started the hauling process again. HOWEVER, after I had finished moving everything but the food storage and book shelf books from Amelie's room, I gave those boxes a good stare down. Looked out the window, saw that my neighbor Everette was home and waved the white flag asking for help. Everette immediately came to my rescue. Not only did he bring ALL those heavy boxes (wheat and rice & books) down the stairs, load them into my car and drive them the few feet to our new home, he also unloaded them all, and carried them ALL back UP THE STAIRS of our new place. How amazing is he? Then after all that was done, he insisted on helping me to do more loads for the next few hours. With is help, good knees, big muscles and super positive attitude he was able to get what would have taken ME 4 days of work in my condition done in a matter of hours. Did I mention it was STILL SNOWING? Yep, EVEN MORE SNOW. And his beautiful wife came to our rescue too. Helping carry things and keeping Amelie smiling and happy.
7. Thursday, Ben had to work again. So I slathered myself up with TONS of icy hot and got to work again. 8 am - 6 pm of non stop working, cleaning and hauling. The snow had stopped but the WIND. OH the WIND was a beast. That night Ben decided to skip a meeting and help finish up. We worked from 6 - 12:30 before we finally said goodbye to our old home.
8. Turned the keys in Friday morning. So what did I do Friday - a whole lot of nothing. Ok, a little arranging, but really, I rested. I was sick, pregnant, a twisted knee and the other knee super tender from all those stairs and exhausted. So Amelie and I vegged most of the day. Then Saturday, I sat around too, not doing a whole lot other than directing Ben on what he could do, where to put things and what things were priority on my list (like our BED).
Now that we've been here for a week, the place is really coming together. Amelie's room is 95% done except for the lanterns and pictures on the walls (No we need to get her a new bed and dresser before the baby comes). Our room is done except for pictures on the walls (once we get Ams a new bed and dresser, her crib and dresser will come into our room for the baby). The spare room/storage unit/computer room is done. Just need to sort though some junk boxes.
Downstairs is coming along nicely. I have some how lost our "good" plates. Ok so they aren't fancy but they are the plates I like. So I keep hoping that I'll find them. The kitchen has come along nicely, the W/D are in and were working until our dryer started to freak out on us last night (which is fully disassembled now as Ben is trying to fix it.) The living room is coming together nicely and now we are down to the little things. I've even started a good will box - slimming down even more on what we have.
We love the new place (though the walls are thinner than before and the tub creeks every step you make. And I am now woken up at 6 am by our neighbors vacuuming, talking or showering. But I'll get used to those soon enough. I really miss my house.
So now that you've trudged through the "story of our lives," let's get on with the photos!
Emptying a load from the car.
My crafting shelving unit making its way to our new home.
Amelie's temporary bed (until we could get hers set up). We told her it was like camping - which made the experience exciting and fun!
Learning what a poncho was and finding entertainment in the simple things throughout the move.
Took Toby a few days to adjust but now she seems to be accepting of our new home.
Amelie discovered a stock pile of games I was saving for her. Mickey Bingo, Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders and others. We've rehidden them all but Mickey Bingo. Shhh! She's hasn't noticed yet.
Everette & Michelle, my heros!

No comments:
Post a Comment