Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's done - The blanket is finally done!!

So for the past two weeks, my life has been consumed with this blanket.  But I am pleasantly amazed at HOW GOOD it turned out!  I am so darn proud of myself!  

A few years ago, like four, a JoAnn Fabric store here in town was going out of business.  So everything in the store was 50% off, then 60, 70, 80 and then 90% off.  

I stocked up on a few things that I knew I'd eventually use.  Fabric being one, a sewing machine with thread, needles and batting.  LOTS and LOTS of batting.  We got a HUGE 5 foot tall roll of batting which has thus far, made 3 Queen size blankets, a full size blanket and 3 lap quilts.  Unfortunately this blanket used up the last of it.  I have scraps left but nothing worth salvaging for another project.  

The last blanket I really made was about 2 1/2 years ago.  It too was a photo quilt.  That photo quilt was for a friends birthday.  At the time she was the president of the Young Women (girls youth program) at church.  So I made her a photo quilt with all the girls pictures and had all the girls sign it.   That quilt was decent, and at the time the best I'd ever done, but the finish edge has always gotten me and I've never quite been able to master it.  

Then I made 2 lap quilts with random pre-sewn squares I found in the closet at church which I think were sewn in the 70's or early 80's based on the fabric used.  This quilt required no real skills of my own except for a quick sew around the edge.  

But this blanket was one I've dreaded doing.  I really wanted to do this right, the way I could see in my head but never quite been able to get my hands to create.  And finally after taking my time, and focusing on what I saw in my head I have created a really great blanket.  The best I've ever done.  There are, of course, a few minor errors, that only those who "closely" examine the blanket will notice, but I think I'm finally developing a talent that my mother has passed onto me.  

The other thing you should know is that Toby LOVES to make blankets.  She gets so excited when she sees the fabric come together and insists on helping every step of the way.  If she doesn't like the lay out I've created, then she runs at full speed to mess up all the fabric squares, forcing me to start again.  She stays up with me at all hours of the night to make sure that I stay focused and do it right.  As you'll see from these pictures, she's inspecting the blanket one final time before I do the edging and then "testing out the final product.  She insists that a good blanket must be able to be "fort like" and also comfortable.  I'm sorry we do not have a picture of her on top of it as those came during my actual post.

The person this particular blanket is going to is my secretary at church.  She has helped me so much and I want her to know how appreciative I am of all her hard work and the time she gives up for her calling.  So this blanket is for her.  

The saddest part of all, is that after 4 years of occasional blanket making, I've finally mastered the technique and this is my last one.  My very last one until a clearance happens on batting.  So if you see any good sales, let me know





1 comment:

Jenilee Sizemore said...

Hey there Janelle! I was browsing pages and stumbled on yours. My goodness, it has been a long time. I remember going to your apartment w/Suzanne right before you and Ben got married. Time certainly does fly. Your blanket looks great. Wanna make me one too? LOL!