Sunday, April 5, 2009

Screams of Hurrah and Cries of Despair

This weekend was conference, and it always amazes me that so many people think it's a 'free' weekend from church to do whatever they want.

Ben and I tuned in via the Internet from home and enjoyed all the talks. Yesterday, during the first session of conference, I made muffins and got myself caught up with my coupon binder. During this, we had a fellow church member come by and offer to mow our yard. What a generous offer - seeing as how we are very able to do this ourselves - and so far, our yard isn't yet screaming - SOMEONE HELP ME - I'M BEING NEGLECTED!! Actually quite the contrary, as we've been doing a lot of yard work lately. After reminding this person that conference was on, they insisted on mowing our front yard for us and then kindly went on their way. In one way I was extremely grateful for the generous act of service that was preformed for us, as Ben and I have never asked for service from anyone in our ward and yet it's nice to know that others think of us. On the other hand, I was really bothered by this. Not by the kind act of service, but that this person was missing out on so many great talks and uplifting nourishment for their soul that mine seemed to crave so much.

After lunch and a lot of yard work in a little bit of time - which we filled 2 garbage cans & 3 big yard bags full of debris along with a pile of branches on our front lawn for the yard people to pick up - we went back in and watched/listened to the second session of conference which was as wonderful if not more than even the first session. And once again it surprised me when I got a call from a member of the ward who was doing something unrelated to conference in the middle of conference. Part of me wanted to scream, DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT A PROPHET OF GOD IS SPEAKING TO US AT THIS VERY MOMENT? WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING AND HANGING ONTO EVERY WORD LIKE ME? DON'T YOU REALIZE HOW WONDERFUL AND IMPORTANT THIS MOMENT IS? But I refrained and kindly answered their question and went back to my conference listening.

I guess listening to conference on Saturday is really my parents fault. My mom used to make us get up early ( in WA it started at 9:00 am) and go to the Stake Center in our Sunday best and watch it via satellite feed - Then rush us home for lunch and back out for the second session. Every year it was expected, and every year I complained. Giving up an entire Saturday to hear a bunch of old people talk about things I didn't care about was not my idea of a well spent weekend. But now, I'm more mature, the things they talk about DO apply to me and they are no longer "old guys" but respected Prophets of God on the earth today. Had it not been for my parents, and especially my mom for taking all the crap we kids gave her with a smile on her face on those Saturdays, I might have been at the beach instead, telling myself I'll listen/watch/read it later. What an important role our parents and especially Mothers play in our spiritual development and habits. Thanks Mom!

Now I'm not perfect and every year, I don't sit down and watch/listen to conference as I have had other things going on, but how grateful I am to have been able to do it this year.

So then on Sunday (today) Ben and I once again watched conference from home via the Internet. During the first and second sessions of conference I decided to tackle my spare bedroom. As of 11:00 am this morning, when I woke up, you couldn't see the bed as it had been completely covered in various projects I had once worked on. The floor was almost completely hidden and I had bags of "food storage" food slowly working its way into the hallway. It was a daunting task that I had been putting off.

So today I tackled it. And wow! What a difference it makes. And then after cleaning, organizing and sweeping/dusting the room, I once again am overwhelmed with how much "stuff" I have and that one day, I'll have to fit a crib into that room....HUM....or not. Maybe when that day comes, we'll just combine our room with the baby's room as it wont be very long that we'll be in this house after the first one comes. The house will quickly go up for sale when the pitter patter of feet come...if we're here longer than that, then I have NO IDEA what we'll do. The 3rd bedroom is our 'game room' with the big TV and there is no way that that beast will fit in ANY OTHER room in the house and look halfway normal.

I digress..sorry.

So anyways, after tackling the disaster of a room, I decided that to celebrate I needed a few pictures. After getting my camera, and turning it on, the cries of despair came. NOOOOOOOOO I screamed. Somewhere deep INSIDE the camera, something cracked. The lens was in perfect shape, the viewing screen is in perfect shape but when turned on, all you get is a white screen with crack marks running through it. Somehow I must have dropped my purse or set it down too hard (as that is where it is always at) and damaged the camera. As a test I took the following pictures with out being able to actually see the photo I'm taking. You'll see that the pictures are a bit blurry but notice how CLEAN and ORGANIZED the room is?! Next, will be my room! Yikes!

So now we're looking into another new camera. I only had this one for a little over a year! Oh well. At least it was a free gift! But when the YW at church hear that my camera is broken, they will be shouting and screaming HURRAH! as they feel I take too many pictures. But their happiness will be short lived.








No comments: