Thursday, April 2, 2009

I need a vacation - a very long rant - but aren't the all that way?

Yes, it's true. You'd think I just had one but man...I have yet had a moment to breath. Actually tonight was the first night since we got home that I've really had a chance to sit down. So we rented a movie and vegged...after running a few errands on sally of course. (can't REALLY have a just plain old relaxing night - can we?)

I'm in the beginning stages of developing a theory. My not yet developed theory is that going on vacation has two upsides and a few downsides. Upside #1: You get to relax, have fun and spend the entire day, and night with your loved ones. Upside #2: Everyone back at the office once again realizes just how valuable you are and how they can't possibly function without you - yea!

Downside #1: Everyone realizes how they can't live without you and cling onto you as soon as you walk back in the door making your life busier than it has ever been. Downside #2: You realize that going on vacation makes everyone remember how fabulous you are and you now dread going on another vacation because you've really not had a chance to breath in the past two weeks since you got home.

My life is exhausting and quite frankly I'm not sure how I got to this point seeing as how I don't have any kids. I'm really going to have to cut back in a few areas once kids come into the picture.

So what is the new update on our lives you ask? Well...let's see....

1. Our ward was practically "white washed" at church. For you non-Mormon, non-missionary speaking people, that means that almost all leadership was changed over to new people (not unusual, happens every few years but I've not seen it quite this drastic in such a short period of time). And when I say ALMOST all, I mean it. Quite frankly, I'm stoked about this - well, almost.

We got an entire new bishopric - and they are doing a great job!

We got an entire new Relief Society presidency - BIG yea as they are young and hip and our ward is old and sickly

We got a new Elders Quarm presidency - well kind of...soon..we got a new president and are waiting for the big announcement of counselors.

We got a new Primary Presidency - again, kind of as the president hasn't chosen counselors yet.

We got a new Young Men's Presidency - well kind of, so far just a president named Ben Heath

And somehow in all this excitement of new callings....the young women were skipped over. (that means ME). I talked to my new bishop, I even told him straight out what callings I'd be PHENOMENAL at (which he agreed) but unfortunately, the girls are stuck with me. I'm not complaining, I love the girls but man this is an EXHAUSTING calling.

On Sunday, one of my girls had an epiphany and I thought it was kind of funny. You may enjoy it especially if you don't know my calling/assignment at church.

She said: Wait a minute...If Brother Heath is Young Men's President (works with youth boys ages 12 - 18) and you're Young Women's president (works with youth girls 12 - 18), then I guess there really shouldn't be any miscommunication between the two organizations (as we work together quite a bit). I told her I sure hope not.

In fact so far things are going great. Ben and I have the same vision for the youth program. We both are driven, goal oriented people who almost always have the same vision in life. So needless to say, we'll get along quite well as co presidents - and I think this will help me to have the motivation to keep my house cleaner seeing as how the YM are over ALL the time.

Perhaps working together we can motivate the youth, create new stronger bonds with them and along the way help them to develop a relationship with their Savior Jesus Christ - which is the whole point of the program.

What else is new....

Well, we've once again renewed our passion of HATE (I know, you think that's too strong of a word, but I don't) for UNF. I have NEVER hated an institution as I do UNF. We have had nothing but problems with them and every semester we seem to find ourselves extending Ben's education an additional semester.

Initially when we planned to have Ben start school full time - no job, just school - we planned a graduation date of December 2009. Then after his first semester, we were told that OH NO, unfortunately UNF doesn't offer the REQUIRED classes that he needs for graduation during the semesters he needs them and that we would have to extend his education an entire semester to get in those needed classes that aren't offered as they should be.

So we decide that OK, we can financially go an additional 5 - 6 months without him working than we planned.

Now it's time to start looking at summer classes. Can you believe that out of ALL the classes that he is required to take they are offering NONE of them this Summer?! So this now bumps us what you would think would be an additional semester. But if you thought that - you'd be WRONG. No, them not offering these classes in the SUMMER bumps us back an additional 2 semesters (because if they aren't offering them this summer, they wont be next summer)...meaning that right now graduation doesn't look like it's going to be in our reach until DECEMBER of 2010 (an entire year longer than we initially planned).

Not only do they REQUIRE you to take certain classes to graduate and then not offer them to you to take, but they ALSO are rude to you when you ask questions, treat you like your an idiot when you talk to them about your scheduling conflicts and their website is by far the most messed up system I have ever ATTEMPTED to work with. We have had NOTHING but problems with them since the day we applied. Not to mention the fact that I've begun to find WHITE hairs. Not grey, no that would be too cool...but pure as snow white hair on my tender barely 27 years old head. The day we left for vacation we found 4 still growing out of my head. Not to mention the one Ben pulled a few weeks ago. UNF is stressing me out and making me go prematurely white. I wish, wish wish, that FCCJ - now FSCJ would offer a 4 year Math Program at their school. We LOVED them and would change in a heart beat.

So there you have it in a very long nut shell the craziness of my/our life. I desperately need a vacation and yet fear how busy I will be when I return from it.

Oh did I mention that my boss is traveling like crazy, my entire office is moving further from my home in a month, I'm in charge of coordinating everything for one of the largest meetings my company attends AND I'm in the middle of planning Aspen again?

I guess that's why we've not really posted since we got home. Is it time to move yet? Can I run away from this place and start all over somewhere? I swear, I'll include kids this time!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

That's kind of funny, because we feel the same way about UNF and are so glad we don't deal with their attitude anymore. We even decided that the length of the line (or the time on hold) is directly proportional to how rude the person you talk to will be. Caleb's uncle even says UNF stands for "U Never Finish" because of how long it takes to graduate.

John-E-Boi said...

Hrmm...Perhaps you should just suck it up ;)

Janelle Heath said...

I love it! You Never Finish! It's soooo true! How's UF treating you? Does Caleb like them more?

Debbie said...

Yes, we really enjoy it, except for traffic on game days. I would have to say that the folks at the financial aid office are just as rude as anywhere else. It must be a prerequisite for the job, "Rude to everyone and generally unhelpful."