Saturday, December 22, 2012

Keeping Christ in Christmas: Day 22


The envelope...

The photo...

May I introduce you to the person we refer to as Mom, Mommy, Mama, Nell, Nella, Janelle.

Janelle's Testimony 2012

I love the season of Christmas.  It brings a glow to the world around us.  The beautiful lights, the Christmas carols and the happy greetings among friends and strangers.  I love how it seems that people go out of their way for each other more than usual this time of year.  Opening doors, picking up another's tab or even just bringing over a plate of goodies to munch on.  the Christmas season brings a sense of peace and joy that no other season can even compare.

But my favorite part of Christmas is remembering my Savior.  Growing up, my mother always did a great job of helping us all to remember the real reasons for Christmas.  She'd wrap up gifts, invite the neighbors and bake cookies.  We'd then all sit around, and each child and neighbor would be allowed to open one gift.  Upon each gift being opened, we'd talk about it and read it.  One "gift" would always be the Book of Mormon.  We'd then read the story of Christ's birth from those pages.  Another "gift" would be the Bible and again, we'd read the story from those pages.  Gift after gift would have some meaning and I secretly always liked this tradition, though I don't think I ever told my mother that.  

It helped me remember WHY we celebrate the birth of Christ.  I am so grateful for the examples I've had in my life and for the examples that Amelie now has in hers.  I know that my Savior was born, that He lived and walked this earth and I know that He still lives and it is through us, our examples, our deeds and our commitment to him that will strengthen our testimony of him.  May this Christmas Season be filled with remembrance and the spirit of Christ for each of you.

No comments: