So, we don't really celebrate it. This year wasn't much different, though Ben did come through with a few stellar gifts - which you wont really think are stellar until I tell you another story.
Ok...back up again. Funny story.
A few years ago, some "holiday" came up - not really sure which one. We must have been married two years or something and at this point it had become VERY obvious that Ben wasn't exactly a gift giving kind of guy. Lets just say we had a rough few holidays with my being very upset with him over the lack of gifts given during certain gift giving holidays in which gifts are not only expected but very much required. So I was off on one of my infamous tirades about how he needed to learn that though I was a practical gal and did prefer the blender over the flowers scenario, I still expected the blender - and not the $0.99 cent special as I like the best of the best for my kitchen (I'm a kitchen guru when it comes to gadgets). So at like 7 pm on a Saturday, I kicked him out and said - go buy me something (the holiday was on a Sunday and he hadn't bothered to get me anything). (mistake #1 - don't try to FORCE Ben to buy a gift - you'll see why).
So off he went and about an hour later he came home. He was like a kid in a candy store, so VERY proud of himself that he got me 3 things for under $20. I was initially shocked as his "budget" was a bit higher than that and I didn't exactly want anything that cost less than $20 - let alone 3 things combined for LESS than $20.
So he began to present me with my gifts. The first one was a miniature rose bush. Ok, that one totally rocked - though I kill plants in general, I did appreciate the thought he put into getting this. Then after closing my eyes and holding out my hands I felt a round flimsy object. Upon opening my eyes, lo and behold I had the most tacky sun visor in my firm grip. Yikes. A sun visor - I didn't even need one! (apparently it was on sale!). The last item, was a dish scrubber. Now as much as I hate to wash dishes, I do have to give him props for getting the kitchen aid one that matched my other utensils - though word to the wise guys - don't get your wife or girlfriend anything that will help her to clean better...or you'll be getting cozy on that lumpy couch you got at the garage sale last month. Poor guy - I was a bit upset and have yet to let him live down the bad gifts. Though, I do take most of the blame as I did tell him I'm more of a blender than flowers girl. I just merely meant practical things...practical but totally cool. Like a pillow for my bathtub or a nice sweater - practical but something that I would really enjoy and appreciate.
So move along a few years to this stellar valentines. Ben's gift giving choices have become better over the years though he has done a few cop-outs of "shopping trips" and stuff - but those usually come with an unlimited budget. :) (though I don't get too carried away).
So this valentines he got me some really fabulous stuff. The item that I told him I wanted - really wanted - i even sent him an email link - was not the item he actually got me (the cost of shipping was too high for him - still a frugal guy which I love and adore cause I'm a frugal gal - though I still really want that rocking gift Ben - maybe as a "I'll miss you all summer and want you to have this stellar gift to remember me by thing.)
BUT he did get me two things that I do love and that I had mentioned that I did want. And the fact that he remembered really made me jump for joy (because I had forgotten that I wanted it!).
He got me a seat belt neck thingie. You know the wool wrap around for your seat belt so it doesn't rub and irritate your neck? Every time I'm in the car I think about getting one but as soon as I'm out of the car - I forget all about it! The other gift was a book. - What a great guy. Now the difference between these practical gifts and the gifts from 3 years ago - is that I actually WANTED and NEEDED these practical gifts - those...well...let's just say he's used those other gifts far more than I have. (tee hee hee).
As far as the rest of the day, there was no heart shaped pancakes or chocolates (though I have boxes full of chocolates hidden around the house (a habit I learned from my mom). And the shipping cost of my favorite chocolates is ALMOST as much as the chocolates themselves...so no go there.
So for the day we did a bit of shopping (where I continued to buy myself more "valentines" gifts). We got an entire bedding set for my spare room which was 75% off. I was VERY VERY happy about that because I love it and it was the last one and the perfect size. (so I guess that means that when ever you come visit, you'll have a stellar bed set waiting for you!) And Ben bought me a popcorn air popper - though it turned out like crap so we'll be taking it back and getting a different one - but I still loved it!
Then we went to Boston's for heart shaped pizza with friends and headed off to the Battle reenactment at camp Olustee (sp?). Something I'd never done before and really enjoyed! Thanks John & Sarah for the invite! Next time (if there is a next time) let's not go when it's raining...or perhaps if Ben buys me that stellar gift I want, it wont matter.
Then I became as lame a person as ever and after dinner promptly fell asleep on the couch for a 12 hour nap! HOLY CROW - i was tired (Ben dragged me to bed around midnight). Whew...doesn't that sound like a romantic, love filled - valentines? Yea didn't think so. Maybe next year we'll try harder - or not.
Happy Belated Valentines Day to all of you - and Ben I totally love you. You make up for it in so many other ways that I just need to remind myself of on gift giving holidays. (though seriously, he's become much much better at this gift giving thing).
No comments:
Post a Comment