Sunday, August 31, 2008

A souvenir from MN

On July 21st, I was leaving MN to come back home to FL and noticed a bump about the size of a quarter on the back of my neck. I didn't think much of it, cause hey, bug bites happen and then they just go away, right? Well, this one decided not to go away, it just changed. This past Wednesday I decided to do an image search on Google to see if I could figure out what this bull's eye shaped bite on my neck was. First thing that popped up was a picture that looked kinda like what I had, so I clicked on the image. The link brought me to a web page about Lyme disease.
I thought, "Really?!???!". I'd learned about Lyme disease growing up in MN and knew it was possible to get, but never had known anyone that ever got it. So I went straight-way to the local urgent care facility and they confirmed it. So now I'm on Doxycycline, an antibiotic, and it is supposed to get rid of the Lyme disease, and I'm sure it will since it was caught early enough. Here is a photo of my neck, it kind of looks like a smiley face in the photo.

4 comments:

Dr. Mom said...

Wow, good thing you caught it early. My uncle got it and they couldn't figure out why he was so sick. They thought he was going to die. Finally, the doctors got a clue and while he is better, he may have some neurological issues the rest of his life.

Susan Ramsey said...

OH NO!!!
i know a couple people who got it! good thing you caught it early with your nerdy computer searching skillz.
get better!

Courtney said...

You may not remember me but I'm a good friend of Sue's (Ben will know.) I was diagnosed with Lyme last year after having been SICK beyond belief for 2 years (many trips to the mayo clinic.) I was never fortunate enough to have the bullseye and my symptoms were so absurd I was tested for just about everything else under the sun (Lyme is "The great Imitator."

Anyway -- I have learned mucho mucho mucho and would love to share what I have learned about antibiotics, probiotics (get on them now massive quantities of full spectrum probiotics at least 20-30 Billion a day - save your GUT!), alternative therapies (in addition to not in place of), side effects of meds, understanding Lyme in all its effects, chronic, flare-ups, etc -- especially for women, pregnancy and childbirth and how that's all connected blah blah blah. Oh, I've researched up the wazoo and heard the president of the National Lyme Association speak and got lots of great information and tools.

Feel free to email if you have

courtneyhillyoungquist@gmail.com

Courtney said...

Oops - I had been reading the previous blog about coupons (Janelle) and totally assumed it was her who had Lyme (hence the directed email to her - childbearing, women, etc. which is NOT you.)

So Ben - you KNOW who I am, feel free to email if you have any questions!