Sunday, June 24, 2012

Aspen 2012

I have had the opportunity to go to Aspen, CO every summer since - well I am not sure.  I think 2006?  Anyway, the only summer I didn't go was when I was HUGELY pregnant with Amelie.  Though I no longer am an employee for my company, they asked me to come for a week this year to do some work for them - at which point we accepted.  I brought the whole family with me and though I had the camera every day for work purposes, we were able to get a few shots in the evenings after I got off.

Nothing is more enticing to Amelie than a huge heated pool.  So every day, she and Ben would spend at least a hour swimming!


 Amelie was looking through some photos of past years in Aspen and saw a photo of this bear.  She LOVED it and talked about the bear she saw in the picture for a few days.  So we had to stop by and get our picture with the bear (made completely out of nails).
 My favorite bridge.  It's sooo antique, old, unique, rustic, charming, enticing!  So we had to get our photos on it.

 Nothing like a metal bison to elicit a photo opportunity!
 We went hiking around one of my favorite spots while there.  In one section of the park, there are what's known as Ice Caves.  Lucky for us, there was still plenty of ice left in it.  Ben climbed down inside and was a bit bummed that he hadn't worn shoes (he wore flip flops), as he couldn't climb around on the ice.



 Further past the ice caves, are what's known as the Cascades.  A long series of waterfalls which are breathtaking!  I used to come here every summer to read and enjoy the beauty around me.


 On our way out of the park, we stopped at the river to let Amelie feel the cold water.  The water is SOOOO low this year and you can see just how far into the riverbed they had to walk before even touching water.




 On another day, we went to the ghost town of Independence, CO.  We hiked around and saw the old run down homes and even hiked to the wood mill.

 More pool time, this time with Mommy.
 Showing off her piano skills
Our apartment was covered in Bears.  Very rustic bear theme happening.  Well Amelie LOVED the bears.  Every day, multiple times a day, she gave each of them hugs and kisses.  She wanted her picture taken with her best bear friends.



Look Mom!  No hands!
On our way out of town, we had to stop for the annual photo at Independence Pass by the sign.  I get one taken here each year and hope to get them each year for the next many years!

No comments: