Sunday, March 10, 2013

An Amelie Update Post

Amelie is growing and changing sooo fast.  I felt I needed to write a few things down to document what her life is like now before I blink and it changes.  She is currently 2 years and 6 1/2 months old.

1.  Amelie INSISTS on taking a shower with me every morning.  I've also found it's MUCH easier (and a better experience for her) for me to wash her hair in the shower.  Then after our shower is done, she takes a short bath with her toys.

2.  Amelie's memory amazes me every day.  She certainly gets that from Ben.  Ben has very distinct memories from when he was 2 and Amelie is showing those same signs.  Except she REMEMBERS stuff from when she was 1.  Vividly remembers.  For example, She remembers getting her cast on when she broke her leg.  And often plays pretend with my boots being casts or paper towels being casts etc.  I was also surprised as we were looking at a friends blog and she saw photos of them at the Jacksonville Zoo.  She instantly exclaims "I remember that!"  "I remember that!"  And I know she does.

3.  She's still very attached to the binky.  Our "goal" is to get her to quit the binky before the baby arrives.  We'll see if it actually happens, but that is our goal.

4.  She loves to dance.  We do ballet, and have dance parties and even this morning before our shower she wanted to do a naked dance.  LOL.  She's a funny nut and we love her for it.  But dancing is something she loves.

5.  She knows her entire alphabet (sight and memory, upper and lower).  She knows her numbers from 1 - 20 (sight and memory).  She knows her phonics for ALL letters  and often makes it a game.  She'll see a letter on a sign and say "S, sss sss sss S."  She knows all her basic shapes, ALL her colors and more animals than me.

6.  Her hair is carmel colored and super fine.  Which means she has Ben's hair and that it will probably ALWAYS be shoulder length or shorter.  Luckily she has my head shape and a short bob will look super cute on her.  Though she's never had a hair cut yet.

7.  She is obsessed with birthdays.  DYING to have birthday party and just this past Friday told me while eating breakfast: "I have an idea!  Let's do a surprise birthday party for daddy!"  So I then say, yea when can do that when it's daddy's birthday.  Amelie then said "No, today!  let's do a surprise birthday party for daddy today!  If you ask her what makes her happy she'll tell you: birthday's, birthday cake, birthday candles.  She's also dying to do a pinata as she remembers doing one last year at a friends birthday and wants one too.

8.  She is 100% potty trained.  Day/night, public bathrooms etc.  And she can hold it for up to 12 hours during the day and longer at night.

9.  She loves to sing and can actually carry a tune now.  No longer just words but tune too.

10.  She thinks everyone is her friend and always introduces me to her friends (any age, any place) that I'm her mommy.

11.  She loves to play kitchen, doll house with Peter and Isala (she named the dolls), dance, sing, paint, chalk, read books, stamp, her rody horse, go on bike rides,  bake with mom, play on the ipad and watch her favorite movie (and sing along and dance) to the Lorax.

12.  I now make her choose her own panties, shirt and pants and socks each morning and I help her put them on.  I do however make her get herself undressed.

13.  She loves to pretend her blankets are super hero capes and it makes me want to make her her own cape to wear around.  However that will be after I finish a few other projects I already have going on right now.

14.  She loves "treats."  Plain M&M's are her favorite along with starbursts and salt water taffy.  But her all time favorites (which we use for bribes) are candy corns.

15.  Despite her obsession with birthday cake, she doesn't like it.  She'll happily lick the frosting off and hand it back.  However tempt her with a donut and she'll be your best friend for life.  (Fried, round donut with white frosting and sprinkles is her favorite).

16.  She is still easy and laid back though she does have her moments that require us to use time out.  We however are not spankers and have never used that method of punishment and haven't needed to.

17.  She is super excited to be a big sister and has been wanting a baby for well over a year.  Luckily we have a neighbor with a new born who lets us hold her.  Good practice for Amelie.

18.  She has a new fear of sleeping her her own bed.   And despite her NEVER being allowed to sleep with us before, she now falls asleep between us each night - and is then put her in bed after falling asleep.  Though every morning she comes back for morning snuggles.  (Good thing I'm already pregnant!).  Every night we try to get her to sleep in her room but for now, it's not worth the fight.

19.  She does not like nursery.  She FREAKS out when we leave her and she is always brought to us.  So now Ben stays with her 2nd hour and I stay with her 3rd hour.  Though we ARE TRYING to work though this with the nursery leaders and hope that by the time she goes to Sunbeams she can handle being left alone.

20.  She thinks Ben is the most amazing person on the planet.  I am dirt compared to his awesomeness. She squeals in delight every day when he comes home and is sad when he leaves for work.  The worst in when he has meetings at night and then she sobs because her few precious hours with dad are taken away from her.

21.  She waked up around 7 am and goes to bed at 10:30 (we soooooo wish it was earlier).  She takes a 2 hour nap during the day.  We tried to keep her from taking a nap but then she'd think that 8:30 bedtime was nap time and wake up at 10:30 ready for 4 hours of play before she would go to bed again.  There was NO WINNING as we tried everything.  So for now, it's just what we deal with and hope soon she will be willing to go to bed earlier.

There are a million other details I should document about her life but for now, this will be a good continuation for her journal.

No comments: